Friday, 26 April 2013

Chatting with Canadians- Chapter 5!

It's that time again! We got a little off track with these posts with Christmas and all but we're ready to start with this series again.

Chatting with Canadians


In case you are new to these parts- "Chatting with Canadians" is a series I developed with Ashley from First Home Dreams. It happens every other Friday and alternates from my blog to hers. It's just a fun series that highlights some unique features of Canada as most of the blogs we read seem to be based in the United States or other countries. You can read about some common myths about Canada in Part One or read a bit about our pop culture in Part Two on Ashley's blog. Part Three featured Canadian foods and Part Four showcased Vancouver Island in British Columbia.
 
Today, I was supposed to showcase another travel destination but to be perfectly honest, I had a long day at work, had dinner and ended up crashing on the couch for a 3 hour nap. Whoops! Now that it's midnight, I am frantically pulling a post together for you. This should be interesting! I figured to ease back into this series, I would do a post with 10 interesting geographic facts about our country as a whole before getting into some of the fun details of various places in other posts. So- let's get to it!
 
 
1. Canada is the second largest country in the world. It has 10 provinces, 3 territories and 6 time zones. We have 42 National parks, 15 world heritage sites, 167 national historic sites and four marine conservation areas.
 
 
world-map
Map from here.
 
 
2. The Capital of Canada is located in Ottawa, Ontario. It is the second coldest capital in the world and is home to the Rideau Canal which freezes and becomes the world's longest skating rink in the winter months.
 
 
Ottawa
Image from here.
 
 
3. Canada has the longest coastline of any country in the world. (243, 977 Km or 151, 600 miles) Also, the largest tides in the world occur in the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick (up to 16 metres or 53 feet!).
 
 
east coast vs west coast


bay of fundy
Photos from herehere & here.
 
 
4. Montreal, Quebec is the world's second largest French speaking city after Paris, France. Quebec is the province in Canada that is primarily French speaking.
 
 
montreal
Photo from here.
 
 
5. Despite being such a large country, Canada has the fourth lowest population density in the world. Only three people for every square kilometer. However, 81% of this population lives in cities. And 91% of this population is located within 160 Km's (100 miles) of the Canada/US border. We have six cities with a population over 1 million- Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa.
 
 
toronto montreal vancouver
 
edmonton calgary ottawa
1, 2, 34, 5, 6
 
 
6. The longest highway in the world is the Trans-Canada Highway. It is over 7604 kilometers (4725 miles) and spans from one coast to the other.
 
 
TransCanada1
Image from here.
 
 
7. Canada has one tenth of the world's forests. Half of our country is covered in forests.
 
 
forests in Canada
Map from here.
 
 
8. Wasaga beach in Ontario is the longest fresh water beach in the world.
 
 
wasaga beach
Photo from here.
 
 
9. Waterfalls- we have some good ones. Della Falls in British Columbia is our highest waterfall at 440 meters or 1444 feet. Niagara Falls, Ontario is the largest waterfall in North America.
 
 
della falls niagara falls
 
 
10. The most widely attended festivals are The Celebration of Light (international fireworks competition in Vancouver, British Columbia), the Winterlude (a festival to celebrate Canadian winters with skating, ice sculptures and slides, etc in Ottawa, Ontario & Gatineau, Quebec), Just for Laughs (comedy festival in Montreal, Quebec), Canadian National Exhibit (technology & agriculture fair with family attractions in Toronto, Ontario), Calgary Stampede (rodeo and festival in Calgary, Alberta) and Pride Toronto (a festival celebrating the LGBT community in Toronto, Ontario). All see over 1 million visitors during the festival. I have only ever personally been to one- guess I have some travelling to do!
 
 
light winterlude laughs
 
exhib stampede pride
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
That sums up this version of Chatting with Canadians. So did you learn anything from that? I definitely learned a few things I didn't know! Any things you want to see/do now?
 
 
**Note: I used Hike Bike Travel's blog for a lot of these facts. You can find the article with 143 interesting facts here.


17 comments:

  1. So interesting! I've been to Toronto and Vancouver and loved both. We're thinking of driving up to Niagara Falls & Toronto while we're in the Boston area this fall, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are both great cities! I have also been to both. Niagara falls is one of my favourite spots so I definitely suggest visiting that while you're nearby!

      Delete
  2. Canada is awesome & absolutely gorgeous. I'd move there, if I could convince my entire family to come with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha- we'd love to have you : )

      Delete
  3. Joe and I keep talking about taking the Fall up to Montreal since he went a few years ago. I'm hoping that we're able to visit in the next year or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Montreal! It's on my must-see list. Hopefully you can visit it sometime soon : )

      Delete
  4. I learned a ton from this post...fun stuff!! Although I've never been Canada looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it was able to teach you something! I've lived here all my life and still learned a few things. Hopefully you can see some of it for yourself some day : )

      Delete
  5. Great post, Christine! I learned some stuff too, haha. Now I have to come up with something for the next post....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Ashley! I definitely learned a few things... so I guess that's good? I'm sure you'll come up with something great to write about!

      Delete
  6. ... and 1 James Van Riemsdyk.

    Wow. Thanks for this post! Great info. Love the idea of the canal skating rink! That sounds very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it John! The canal does sound very cool- I've only been to Ottawa in the summer though- definitely need to do a winter trip!

      Delete
  7. Cool! I definitely just learned something new. Ottawa looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad! Ottawa is a very pretty city!

      Delete
  8. i love learning about other countries from the folks who live there. i am especially always interested in canada because i grew up watching degrassi LOL i will have to go read the other parts now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! That's what inspired this whole series : ) Haha- glad Degrassi got you interested in Canada... I think. Hope you enjoyed the first few posts just as much!

      Delete
  9. Great post! I've lived here my entire life and have made it to two of the festivals you mentioned. I've got to get a move on! Proud to call Canada home!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat! Please leave a comment while you're here- getting them makes my day!

09 10