Thursday, 9 May 2013

Playing with Paint

I had such good intentions of regular posts this week. Instead I ended up missing two linky parties and not posting for most of the week. Well done.

This past weekend, I babysat my niece on Saturday night. She's five and loves crafty stuff, being outside and staying busy. I usually need a plan. I decided that since it was GORGEOUS outside all weekend, we needed to do something crafty outside. Enter Pinterest and my Kids board.

paint eggs
Pinned here. The original source has been blocked.

Those are eggs filled with paint. How could that not be fun?! It was definitely going to have to be an outdoor activity so that fit and paint counts as crafty so it was a win-win. I purchased 24 eggs and got to cracking. I'm pretty sure the store clerk thought I was planning on egging some person/car/house so that was entertaining. I used some utensil my mom had on hand that was long and pointy to poke a small hole in the top of each egg. I then carefully broke the hole a bit bigger until I could get the egg and yolk out. Then we poured the egg white and yolk into a few different bowls (we were trying to use them up. We had scrambled eggs for breakfast, made cupcakes with 3 eggs and my mom saved some to make a quiche). The shells got rinsed out and then put upside down in the carton to dry out.


empty eggs


Once they were all empty and dry, I simply filled each egg about 3/4 full of different paint we had on hand. You can see we had a few casualties along the way. My niece was helping to dump the egg out and she got a little over excited.


eggs with paint


Then we all changed to paint friendly clothing, grabbed a couple pieces of large Bristol board we had and headed outside. My mom, my niece, my step-dad and myself then proceeded to take turns throwing or dropping the eggs on the paper. It was pretty fun.


egg drop sequence


Jixer was even near by and helped out by walking through the paint and trying to eat it. She's helpful like that.


egg painting 1
 
This was a pretty fun craft - we all enjoyed it. Here is the finished artwork-
 
 
egg painting 2
 
egg painting 3


egg painting 4


I'm pretty sure we could have sold it for millions until my niece proceeded to mix the paint with her hands after we were done- hence the blended areas. We don't really plan to use it for anything but it sure was fun to make! It's all about the process.

If you are going to take this on yourself, here are my words of advice. Do it outside. Prepare to get paint all around your paper. Either cover the ground around it or just be okay with paint getting there. Wear paint clothes. Put your dog away if you don't want them to have colourful paws. Also- do it on bath night. My niece managed to get some purple highlights through this process - not that she minded. It meant a bath in my parent's whirlpool tub. Jets are endlessly fun to kids- haha.


egg painter extraordinaire!
 
If I was smart I would have linked this up to the Pinterest Challenge yesterday when I didn't finish my art project in time but that would have meant better time management and planning...

Any one else making a big mess artwork lately? I have been working away on some new art things for our house lately. Hopefully I can finish and share soon!

13 comments:

  1. Maybe that link is still up, sometimes they last a while...
    Looks like you had a lot of fun! You are such a fun aunt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it could still be open. I figure I'll have to catch it next time. We definitely had lots of fun! And thanks so much for saying that- I try to be!

      Delete
  2. What an awesome project! Your niece must be bragging around, you are coolest aunt ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ainhoa! That's so sweet of you to say!! I strive to be a fun aunt and be close with my nieces. Plus it's fun to do stuff like this- it's like being a kid again!!

      Delete
  3. That looks like fun! I kind of want to go do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun and cute project...I'd love to do that when my nephews and niece get older!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks SO FUN. I am doing arts and crafts at a summer camp this summer and this would be super cool--I am pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your niece looks like she had so much fun! When the time comes, you are going to be an awesome mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh this looks like so much fun!! I kinda want to bring out the kid in me and do this now!! And they turned out so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Let's chat! Please leave a comment while you're here- getting them makes my day!

09 10